Company: Sarasota Magazine
Posted on: June 20, 2022
Sarasota Magazine is looking for an outstanding reporter and
editor to manage our digital and print publication processes while
also contributing to and growing the magazine's popular Arts &
Entertainment channel. A successful candidate will be comfortable
writing everything from breaking news stories to ambitious
multi-faceted service features, closely editing other reporters'
stories and shepherding a wide variety of pieces through the
publication process.As a key member of the editorial staff, the
Managing Editor will help shape the tone and content of our
coverage by working closely with the Editor in Chief to advance our
mission to delight, inform and challenge readers with every story.
The ideal candidate is a reporter first, with a deep curiosity
about the people, ideas, issues, places and industries that keep
our region running. The person we're looking for wants to explore
all of the people and cultures that call our fast-changing city
- Overseeing editorial workflow for Sarasota Magazine's website
and bimonthly magazine.
- Creating, maintaining and enforcing website and print
- Tracking day-to-day assignments, as well as larger long-term
stories, to ensure deadlines are being met.
- Developing and implementing improvements to our processes.
- Managing the editorial budget, including tracking freelance
contracts and invoices.
- Reporting, writing and editing digital and print news stories,
with an emphasis on growing the magazine's Arts & Entertainment
- Creating and updating service features and lists-everything
from best restaurants to neighborhoods guides to top things for
kids to do.
- Discovering and cultivating sources.
- Engaging with readers, colleagues and industry professionals on
social media while building a vibrant personal voice.
- Contributing to regular editorial meetings and brainstorming
- 3+ years experience as a reporter or editor.
- Excellent command of grammar, punctuation and linguistic
- Strong project management skills.
- Fluency with digital publishing platforms and software, as well
- Outstanding attention to detail.
- Ability to work with a wide range of personalities and comfort
working on stories from all sections of our website and
- Ability to find or identify strong visual elements that enhance
- Ability to lightly edit or manipulate photos to improve a
- Knowledge of and commitment to journalistic ethics.
- Fluent in Spanish, a plus.
- Relentless curiosity.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Kindness.LocationThis position is for the Sarasota office. It
is currently a remote position, however in-office meetings, return
to office, or a hybrid arrangement may be implemented at the
management's discretion. Remote work must be performed primarily in
the state of Florida.SagaCity Media is an Equal Opportunity
Employer and bases all hiring and employment decisions solely upon
an individual's qualifications relating to the requirements of the
position for which they are being considered, without regard to
race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status,
family status, gender, gender identity or expression, national
origin, age, handicap or disability, genetic information, or any
other status protected by law. All are encouraged to apply. Should
you need a reasonable accommodation in order to apply for this
position, please email email@example.com with subject line
"Accommodation Request - Managing Editor".
Keywords: Sarasota Magazine, Sarasota , Managing Editor, Advertising , Sarasota, Florida
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!