Library Professional - Youth Services - North Port Library
Company: Sarasota County Government Careers
Posted on: May 3, 2021
Libraries & Historical Resources
About Our Job
The Youth Librarian develops and implements library services to
children and their families by collaborating with library
co-workers, educators and community agency representatives. The
Youth Librarian creates an environment where children and their
families are engaged, utilize the resources and services of the
library, where they feel comfortable and will be inspired to
explore their scholastic and creative potential. All employees are
expected to work together to create a positive library environment
and a learning culture. All employees will contribute to both
setting and achieving goals as a section, library and system.
Customer Service Skills and Responsibilities
- Demonstrates positive customer service skills: courteous,
sensitive, tactful, with rapport & discretion.
- Communicates well with others. Is a good listener. Speaks
clearly and distinctly.
- Works well as a team to effectively solve problems and resolve
conflicts. Supports and respects diversity
- Demonstrates good judgement and intuition. Demonstrates ability
to handle all types of customers and/or situations.
- Is open, sincere, honest and responsible. Is inquisitive,
creative and eager to continue learning.
- Implements standards of service that ensure the prompt and
efficient resolution of each inquiry.
- Designs and implements library services to meet the needs and
interests of children and their families.
- As part of the Youth Services team, provides regular assistance
at the Youth Services Desk and other sections as needed.
- Facilitates requests from children and their families for
information and provides accurate and appropriate answers.
- Connects children and their families with resources that
- Provides informational services for the community, including
access to library resources and services.
- Presents individual and group training for public and staff in
use of library, technology, equipment, and resources.
- General reference service in assisting customers in locating
answers to question and referral to agencies outside the
- Keeps abreast of developments, new trends, and innovations in
libraries and youth services.
- As part of the library team, provides regular assistance at
Youth Service Desk and to other sections as needed.
- Represents Sarasota County to library users. Communicates
library/county use policies and procedures to users. Is aware of
County and library services and programs in order to better inform
- Provides a leadership role to children.
- Designs, implements and sponsors library programs that offer
information, special skills or entertainment based on the interests
and developmental needs of children.
- Designs, implements and sponsors library programs that offer
STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts, and mathematics) to
children and young adults.
- Defines and implements outreach services to increase
children's' use of library services and teach underserved
- Prepares paper and electronic marketing materials such as
calendars, flyers, newsletters, and signage.
- Prepares press releases and other promotional materials.
- Creates displays and offers outreach services; plans and
directs programs for children and their families.
- Represents the library at local, community, county, regional,
and system-wide meetings.
- Analyzes community areas to determine current and projected
needs and interests.
- Gives outreach and in-library talks on library resources and
- Cultivates a good relationship with parents, children and young
- Fosters partnerships with youth services agencies (such as
Community Youth Development - CYD).
- Articulates and communicates to stakeholders the needs of
children and young adults to receive quality library service.
- Operates within an assigned budget. Assists with identification
of alternative funding sources and preparation of required
- Participates in developing goals and objectives in assigned
section and agency.
- Interprets policies and procedures for the public.
- Operates and maintains library technology and equipment.
- Compiles, maintains and evaluates statistics.
- Attends cash management training and participates in the
libraries cash management procedures as assigned.
- Acts as person in charge in absence of library manager and
- Builds a collection to meet the needs and interests of children
and their families.
- Reviews and recommends materials for the collections.
- Participates in collection maintenance, including shelving, and
- Monitors physical condition of materials and recommends repair
- Promotes the collection and services through displays and other
- Establishes and pursues strategies to stay informed about
current and relevant information resources to enhance youth
services in the community.
- Participates in the development of goals, objectives, business
plan and annual evaluations. Instructs new department employees,
coordinates assignments, and appraises performance.
- Encourages staff and volunteers to use individual talents to
creatively address tasks and assist in programming.
- Participates in cross training in other sections and aids in
cross training in their section.
- Participates in assigned Emergency/Hurricane/COOP role as
required by Sarasota County.
- Provides opportunities for continuing professional development
of self and others, especially in acquiring relevant understanding
Work Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. varied during the week. Work
schedules may vary due to split shifts, rotations, on-call,
emergencies, etc.: Employee may be re-assigned to a different work
location (other than original assignment) within the library system
to meet changing service needs. Expected to participate in all
hours of operation including daytime, evening, and weekend hours,
as well as hours at other locations.
Minimum Qualifications: A Master's Degree in Library Science
(MLS) from a college/university accredited by the American Library
Association with experience in a public library including library
supervisory experience preferred OR A Bachelor's Degree and
enrolled in an MLS/MLIS program with the ability to obtain an
MLS/MLIS within six (6) months from date of hire.
Preferred Qualifications: Recommend course completion in library
services for adolescents, including collection development,
programming and evaluation. Courses in facilitation, web design and
adolescent and children's psychology are a plus. One or more years
of experience working in a library environment is preferred.
Job Competencies: Knowledge of current trends, youth collection
resources, and STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts and
mathematics). Facilitation and strategic planning skills
recommended. Familiarity with operation of standard office
equipment, Windows applications, ILS systems, desktop publishing
software, etc. Demonstrates customer service skills, courteous,
sensitive, and tactful, with rapport and discretion. Ability to
manage challenging customer service situations. Speaks clearly and
distinctly. Supports and respects diversity. Good listener who
communicates well with others and demonstrates openness, sincerity
and honesty. Enjoys reading and using materials commonly found in
libraries and helping children enjoy and use library resources.
Subject to Passing Substance Screening: This position is subject
to passing a pre-employment substance screening. An applicant who
fails to pass a required drug screening test shall be disqualified
from employment in any class for a period of five (5) years.
About Everything Else
Pay: $42,036.80 - $57,491.20
This Posting is currently Open Until Filled
- Enjoy great benefits including Health, Dental, Vision, and Life
Insurance, Short-Term and Long-Term Disability, Flexible Spending
Accounts, Employee Assistance Program (EAP), Florida Retirement
System (FRS) and many, many more!
- For more information about employee benefits, please click this
link or visit SCGov.net for additional information.
- Utilize our award-winning wellness program including free gyms
and classes at multiple Sarasota County Government locations.
- Enjoy 11 paid holidays, 3 personal days and 16 paid vacation
days in the first year of full-time employment with increasing
accrual rates with years of service. (That adds up to a possible 30
days off in your 1st year!)
Sarasota County Government is a Tobacco Free/Drug Free
Sarasota County Government promotes diversity and inclusion in
its workforce and does not discriminate on the basis of race,
color, gender identification or expression, genetic information,
religion, national origin, marital status, age or disability. A job
applicant with a disability who requires reasonable accommodation
to participate in the application/selection process is requested to
make known the need for an accommodation to Human Resources or
appropriate county staff members. For assistance with the
application, please call 941-861-5353.
Keywords: Sarasota County Government Careers, Sarasota , Library Professional - Youth Services - North Port Library, Other , Sarasota, Florida
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!