About Our Job
This is a unique opportunity for an inquisitive, self-motivated
Civil Engineering Student to make a positive impact on Sarasota
County. Sarasota County Government is seeking an intern in the
Traffic Engineering & Operations section of Public Works. Sarasota
County continues to develop a state-of-the-art traffic management
center which incorporates some of the latest technologies in
Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS). This internship provides
the opportunity to learn about cutting-edge technology and the
future of transportation in Florida and the United States.
Join Sarasota County and gain experience in Traffic Engineering
assisting with traffic data collection, traffic studies,
intersection analyses, stop sign warrants, crash data, Intelligent
Transportation Systems (ITS) and more. Additionally, other learning
experiences may be available within the field of Transportation
Engineering including planning, asset management, pavement, signs,
signals and pavement markings.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the
* Assist Senior Traffic Engineer and Traffic Engineer Specialist
with traffic studies and analyses
* Assist Traffic Specialist with traffic data collection
* Conduct site investigations
* Process data using Excel
* Assist with written reports
* Respond to citizen requests (with direction from senior
* Ideal competencies for this position include: interest in
traffic engineering; experience with Microsoft Excel, Word and
PowerPoint; accurate and detailed; good written and oral
communication skills; flexibility and adaptability in a fast-paced
atmosphere; creative problem-solving skills.
Non-Essential Functions: (Secondary Functions - Failure to
perform the task would not significantly impact the business; or,
personnel in other jobs could perform the functions without
* Other duties and/or special projects as assigned.
* These are intended only as illustrations of the various types
of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude
them from the position.
* A presentation to the County Administrator and other County
Leadership staff is required at the conclusion of the internship
* Participation in organized intern events.
* High School Diploma or equivalent required.
* Must be currently enrolled in a college/university, seeking a
Bachelors of Science in Civil Engineering (B.S.C.E.) and have
already completed their second year (must be Junior, Senior or in
* interest in traffic engineering;
* experience with Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint;
* accurate and detailed;
* good written and oral communication skills;
* flexibility and adaptability in a fast-paced atmosphere;
creative problem-solving skills
Subject to Passing Substance Screening: This position is subject
to passing a pre-employment substance screening. An applicant who
fails to pass a required drug screening test shall be disqualified
from employment in any class for a period of five (5) years.
About Everything Else
* Pay Range: $9.00 - $17.50/hour (Pay rate is determined by year
in school/hours completed.)
* Program Dates: The summer internship program begins on May 24,
2021 and will conclude on August 13, 2021.
* Hours: Full-time; Scheduled days and hours would be Monday -
Friday 8 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Seasonal (Fixed Term) (Seasonal)
Employee benefits and Florida Retirement System contributions
are not available for seasonal and temporary positions. Positions
marked Full Time and Regular (Budgeted) are eligible for benefits,
for more information about employee benefits, please click this
link or visit SCGov.net .
Sarasota County Government is a Tobacco Free/Drug Free
Sarasota County Government promotes diversity and inclusion in
its workforce and does not discriminate on the basis of race,
color, gender identification or expression, genetic information,
religion, national origin, marital status, age or disability. A job
applicant with a disability who requires reasonable accommodation
to participate in the application/selection process is requested to
make known the need for an accommodation to Human Resources or
appropriate county staff members. For assistance with the
application, please call 941-861-5353.