Customer Service Representative I - Library Assistant - Osprey Public Library
Company: Sarasota County Government Careers
Posted on: June 6, 2021
Libraries & Historical Resources
About Our Job
Will substitute from time-to-time other Library locations
throughout Sarasota County in Libraries, Info Central and
Historical Resources to provide direct service to customers,
responding in person, by phone and e-mail to routine questions or
requests for assistance. This position will work primarily at
Osprey Library when not assigned to substitute elsewhere. Will
support co-workers in daily operations; will remain informed of
Libraries & Historical Resources initiatives and programs, as well
as be familiar with the Department Business Plan.
Customer Service Skills and Responsibilities:
- Demonstrates positive customer service skills: courteous,
sensitive, tactful, with rapport & discretion.
- Communicates well with others. Is a good listener. Speaks
clearly and distinctly.
- Works well as a team to effectively solve problems and resolve
conflicts. Supports and respects diversity.
- Demonstrates good judgement and intuition. Demonstrates ability
to handle all types of customers and/or situations.
- Is open, sincere, honest and responsible. Is inquisitive,
creative and eager to continue learning.
- Implements standards of service that ensure the prompt and
efficient resolution of each inquiry.
- Provides assistance at all library locations and stations
including: Circulation, Information Reference, Youth and Young
Adult services. Assists users in locating, selecting, and using
- Assists library users in person, by phone, or electronically,
answering questions, and /or redirecting questions to the
appropriate person. Provides directional and services related
information to users.
- Represents Sarasota County to library users. Communicates
library/county use policies and procedures to users. Is aware of
County and library services and programs in order to better inform
- Possesses technical knowledge of phone, computer and
library-related equipment and the ability to assist users.
- Contributes to the development of section policies, procedures,
and plans of service including process improvements. Participates
in planning, presentation, and evaluation of library sponsored
- May facilitate in the setup of program rooms, materials, and
equipment for public, library, and county events.
- Attends annual cash management training and is competent in all
areas of business unit cash management.
- Assists in materials checkout/check-in, retrieves and process
reserves, billing and missing items processes as needed and other
circulation duties including issuing and renewing library
- Assists in cash management duties such as collecting fees, and
Unique Management collections, including such duties as daily
shift, drawer counts, and deposits as needed.
- Gathers statistical information as required and reports on a
- Assists in sorting and processing mail, as needed.
- Performs routine equipment cleaning and maintenance.
- Sorts and shelves materials and maintains an orderly
arrangement of materials.
- Assists in operation and basic troubleshooting of automated
materials check-in, emptying and swapping materials bins, and
- Monitors physical condition of materials and recommends repair
- Promotes the collection and services through displays and other
- Participates in cross training in other sections and aids in
cross training in their section. Seeks opportunities for continuing
development of self and others.
- Trains, directs, and supervises volunteers as needed.
Encourages volunteers to use individual talents.
- Keeps abreast of developments, new trends, and innovations in
Work Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Part Time/20 Hours/Week - No
medical and/or dental benefits offered for this part-time position.
Work schedules may vary due to split shifts, rotations, on-call,
emergencies, etc. Employee may be re-assigned to a different work
location (other than original assignment) within the library system
to meet changing service needs. Expected to participate in all
hours of operation including daytime, evening and weekend hours, as
well as hours at other locations.
Minimum Qualifications: A High School Diploma or equivalent and
one-year experience in public contact customer service work and
proficiency in computer related to public response.
Preferred Qualifications: Customer service experience working in
libraries or similar settings.
Job Competencies: Demonstrates customer service skills,
courteous, sensitive, and tactful, with rapport and discretion.
Ability to manage challenging customer service situations. Speaks
clearly and distinctly. Supports and respects diversity. Good
listener who communicates well with others and demonstrates
openness, sincerity and honesty. Enjoys reading and using materials
commonly found in libraries and helping others of all ages enjoy
and use library resources. Technical knowledge of phone and
computer hardware/software is required. Ability to use standard
computers, software and business equipment.
Physical Demands: Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50
Subject to Passing Substance Screening: This position is subject
to passing a pre-employment substance screening. An applicant who
fails to pass a required drug screening test shall be disqualified
from employment in any class for a period of five (5) years.
About Everything Else
Pay: $12.37 - $15.15
This Posting is currently Open Until Filled
- Enjoy great benefits including Health, Dental, Vision, and Life
Insurance, Short-Term and Long-Term Disability, Flexible Spending
Accounts, Employee Assistance Program (EAP), Florida Retirement
System (FRS) and many, many more!
- For more information about employee benefits, please click this
link or visit SCGov.net for additional information.
- Utilize our award-winning wellness program including free gyms
and classes at multiple Sarasota County Government locations.
- Enjoy 11 paid holidays, 3 personal days and 16 paid vacation
days in the first year of full-time employment with increasing
accrual rates with years of service. (That adds up to a possible 30
days off in your 1st year!)
Sarasota County Government is a Tobacco Free/Drug Free
Sarasota County Government promotes diversity and inclusion in
its workforce and does not discriminate on the basis of race,
color, gender identification or expression, genetic information,
religion, national origin, marital status, age or disability. A job
applicant with a disability who requires reasonable accommodation
to participate in the application/selection process is requested to
make known the need for an accommodation to Human Resources or
appropriate county staff members. For assistance with the
application, please call 941-861-5353.
Keywords: Sarasota County Government Careers, Sarasota , Customer Service Representative I - Library Assistant - Osprey Public Library, Other , Sarasota, Florida
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!