Supervisor - Landscape Maintenance
Company: City of Sarasota
Posted on: June 9, 2021
To plan, organize, direct, supervise and manage the assigned
division or unit, including staff and activities. Responsible for
monitoring and evaluating the work of contractors and for
developing and implementing, on an on-going basis, best management
practices and procedures for assigned area.
Prefer a strong background in principles of landscaping,
horticulture, aboriculture, irrigation, turf management, project
management, and construction. Intermediate MOT and Class B CDL
required (within 6 mos of hire).
If the selected candidate holds a CDL or CLP they must register
and give consent with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety
Administration (FMCSA) Drug & Alcohol Clearinghouse to verify they
are not prohibited from performing safety sensitive functions. For
more information please follow the link
- Supervises Crew Leaders in the performance of duties, which
relate to the operation and maintenance of assigned area of
- Assists in the establishment of preventative maintenance
schedules and maintenance and construction programs for the
assigned area of responsibility.
- Responsible to ensure safety of the assigned workplace and
assigned personnel in compliance with mandated federal and state
governmental regulations, and to assure, to the extent practical,
voluntary compliance with other federal safety regulations.
- Monitors inventory of equipment, parts and other required
materials, additionally initiates orders and makes recommendations
for additional stock or equipment as needed.
- Focuses on employee retention by using communication skills,
active listening, and counseling with employees, providing
objective feedback to subordinates, motivating the workforce, and
using effective conflict resolution skills.
- Assists in hiring high quality candidates both internally and
- Engages in developing subordinates by providing training,
developmental opportunities and career development
- Owns results of the work product generated by division or unit;
takes responsibility and accountability of results.
- Engages and orients new hires and/or transfers by communicating
expectations, providing performance reviews and employee feedback,
and provides both the tools and processes necessary for
subordinates' job success.
- Manages changes that may occur at a higher level by
communicating within division or unit, maintaining morale and
assisting subordinates' through these changes.
- Makes periodic reports to Manager or Deputy Director on the
current state of area of responsibility, including recommending and
prioritizing needed repairs and related improvements
- Meets with contractors/vendors and others as required to
address safety, maintenance, repair, installation and related
issues; provides guidance to contractors/vendors on routine matters
and recommendations to the Deputy Director or designated
representative regarding unusual problems or policy issues.
- Responsible for remaining knowledgeable and certified, if
required for position, in the specialized discipline.
- The intent of this class description is to provide a
representative summary of the types of duties and responsibilities
that will be required of classifications given this title and shall
not be construed as a declaration of the specific duties and
responsibilities of any particular position. Incumbent may be
required to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically
presented in this job description.
- Associate Degree from an accredited college.
- Seven years experience in public works or construction at the
journeyman level, three years of which must by at the supervisory
level in disciplines relating to public works, water utility
operations or construction.
- The above Associate Degree may be substituted for High school
or GED with ten years relevant experience.
- Licenses or certifications required based upon assignment.
- Possess and maintain a valid Class B or higher State of Florida
Commercial Driver's License (CDL).
- Completion of the Public Works Leadership Institute Program
within 2 years in the position.
Assignment Specific Requirements:
- Public Services Division: (1) 14 hours of maintaining asphalt
pavement/Public Works Construction Inspection Skills training from
University of Wisconsin or equivalent training. (2) Backhoe/Loader
& Motor Grader/Front-end loader training. (3) Intermediate MOT
- Plant Maintenance: (1) 80 hours of training in treatment
facility maintenance trades such as pumps, motors & circuits. (2)
Tanker Truck endorsement. (3) Certification as Certified Plant
- Lift Stations: (1) Wastewater Collection Level "A"
Certification. (2) Tanker Truck endorsement. (3) Certification as
Certified Plant Maintenance Manager.
- Potable Distribution System: (1) Water Distribution Level "A"
License. (2) Intermediate MOT Certification. (3) Tanker Truck
endorsement. (4) Cross Connection Control Program Manager
Certification Series (TREEO Center).
- Sewer Collection System: (1) Wastewater Collection Level "A"
Certification. (2) Intermediate MOT Certification. (3) Tanker Truck
endorsement. (4) Wastewater Collection Systems (TREEO Center).
- Verna/HiHat: (1) Class "A" FDEP Operator's License.
- Water/Wastewater Plant: (1) Class "A" FDEP Operator's
Job Based Competencies
- Knowledge of methods, equipment and materials used in
maintenance and operations of assigned area of responsibility.
- Knowledge of potential safety hazards and applicable safety
- Skill in the use and maintenance of testing, diagnostic and
- Ability to plan, direct, manage and supervise required
maintenance, electrical or mechanical work and make estimates of
time, cost and materials needed.
- Ability to analyze and prioritize needed repairs and other
required maintenance activities to arrive at and provide valid
recommendations and plans of action.
- Ability to prepare and present complete, accurate and coherent
- Ability to give oral and written instructions clearly and
ensure those instructions are followed effectively.
- Ability to respond calmly and effectively in emergency
- Ability to work overtime and/or be on call.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working
relationships with other staff, staff of other City Departments and
Offices, vendors, contractors and others.
- Understands and operates by the City Rules and Regulations,
contracts, culture, City code, administrative processes, and is
aware of and effectively uses City resources to operate under these
Keywords: City of Sarasota, Sarasota , Supervisor - Landscape Maintenance, Other , Sarasota, Florida
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!